Rainy Martini

July 03, 2015

Scissoring


Yes, you read it right. I attended Reese Lansangan's collage workshop! I've always admired her music and art, so imagine my delight when I could finally, yeah finally meet her. I almost couldn't go, because reasons. But all of a sudden I could, because well, reasons. And attend the workshop I did. Because Reese-ons. One question: you read what right? I mean look at my opening sentence lol. I kinda thought I wrote something before that but apparently I didn't. Because reasons??


I had one problem though: work (actually no, I had 99 problems like Jay-Z) I'm back on the night shift and I go out at 6 A.M. (so yeah if you wanna terrorize me outside my office you know what time to drop by. Not that you would, because I'm pretty sure you're scared of the yandere in me. Lol). The workshop wasn't until 1 P.M., and my hunhun would arrive at around 10 A.M. To make things worse, I didn't have any access to our sleeping quarters! The great plan was to sleep for at least 4 hours and shower and boom. None of that fucking happened and I ended up staying in our cafeteria, re-watching the entire first season of Sword Art Online. Yay Kirito. Yay zombie me.


Yes, you read it right. I was on full-on zombie mode when everything happened. See, we still had so many hours to kill before the workshop, and I was freaking hungry. My very own stomach was kicking me. On the inside! No pun intended.

Hey wait, the shower thingy happened. I swear I showered that day. Promise!!!

My hahaha motto for the day was pretty much "outside I'm smiling, but inside I'm dying", or maybe not the last part. Because I was am a zombie, remember?

Reese did a small-screen presentation, by the way. Why do I always get carried away with my stream of consciousness. Sigh. There was a little discussion on what collage is and how it started, which pretty much piqued me because I had always thought collaging had been around for much longer. There were a few slides of her first artworks, talks on how she gets her materials, her inspiration, and how we can learn from it and maybe take it from there. I would talk about the things I learned but it'd be unfair. For me and for her.


She then had us pick three cards with subjects on em, just to help us get started. I got "bad driver", "your friends" and "snake". It took me a while to decide which card to work on first, mainly because I I developed this aversion to adding a poetic value to every single element on the pieces I work on. Like, "this wing represents my freedom of speech, and the white of the paper represents my purity. Meaning I want to free my purity which makes no fucking sense, because the world doesn't make sense". Not that I don't care about interpretations—believe me, I do. A lot. But only when I'm looking at other people's works!!


You see, I'm new to traditional art and I thought long and hard why I subconsciously don't do it. Thankfully, I have it all figured out. Since, yes, I'm fairly new to this thing, I didn't realize how much I wanted to focus on the technical stuff first. Like learning color values, swatches, where the highlights should be, et cetera et cetera. I wasn't good at drawing and I didn't really draw-draw during my teenage years. I kinda painted and did a lot of photoshop thing but that's about. Most of the time I just hoard art materials, because the feeling makes me high as fuck. Not that kind of high but you get the idea. It makes me happy, it's almost equivalent to what I feel when I think about my hunhun and my cats. Almost.


Reese advised us to label our stuff—we were encouraged to bring our own materials like magazines, glue, stickers, washi tape, all the collage thingy. Niko bought me those scissors and he so kindly labeled it with a sticky post-it. I feel so bad because I had to peel it off. I needed to cut more precisely. Heh.


He planned to just drop me off Paprika (where the workshop happened) and get lunch somewhere but ended up staying. You see, they already kinda know each other and although I was the first one to hear her sing live, he was the one who got to attend her first exhibit. The workshop lasted for around four hours, and he made himself busy by conceptualizing his new essay on awkwardness.


And speaking of awkward... I WAS MEGA AWKWARD AS FUCKING FUCK. I dunno, I had always identified myself as an extroverted introvert, but all I did was sulk on my chair waiting for things to begin. Maybe it was the zombie in me.


We didn't have enough time to finish all three cards, and I ended up finishing two. I only had around ten minutes to glue things together and I just cut everything I could: photos of Kermit, bras, punched circles. I should've added more bras though.

Reese also brought some of the stuff she sells: zines, postcards, stickers. I got one of each and I distinctly remember feeling exhilarated because postcards. AND STICKERS! STICKERS!! Which I lost, by the way. All of them.. Yes, the exhilarating haul was a goner.


And ooooooph. Remember this illustration I made a few days before? It was actually inspired by her, although I haven't told anyone until now. I'm just too shy to admit to someone that I errrr. Whatever. Hahahaha. Really, whatever and never mind. Thanks. Also, I'm not shy. I'm fly as fuck and me and my fellow chickens can prove that.


Imagine the look on people's faces when they learn that someone brought them a gift. I like giving gifts. (AND I LIKE RECEIVING THEM SO IF YOUUUU YOU KNOW, IF YOU WANNA GIVE ME SOME, YOU CAN. HAHAHAHAHA)


Walked around BGC trying to figure out where to go next. We're horrible at thinking of where to go and what to do. We mostly just want to sit and hang out and talk about politics. Really! Sometimes we make fun of people but that's errrr. That's between us two. Wink wink.


The sexy-looking banana choco chip pancake from CBTL. It's horrible. It was dry and bland and I dunno. But the waiters were so nice to us, which is of course a plus. Customer service yo.



No you won't see my whole face today. Or night wherever you are. But you'll get to see this....


Your Friends
Collage on paper

No comments:

Post a Comment

- You are free to speak
- Comments will be returned
- Respect my opinions, too
- I love you ❤