Rainy Martini

February 26, 2015

Love-hate Relationship with Watercolor

You might have noticed on my previous previous post that I've gotten interested in the traditional art. Again. Yes, I actually have. I'll take you back 5 years. We were assigned a group project in high school, and we had to pass an artwork. I think it was also a school-wide competition. My other groupmates did the drawing and I did the coloring. Thing was, at the time, I had no fucking clue how to paint. But I did have a quite famous (among the people I know, of course) history of staring at art pieces so I had a tiny idea what I had to do. I liked art but I never really did it myself. I was hopeless at it. At drawing, specifically. So I was actually surprised when the first project we did (a painting of trees with kawaii faces hugging the earth) was colored well. In my opinion at the time. There was also a second, bigger project and I was in it, too. We painted with a set of Pentel watercolor tubes at the time.

(And yes I did say "at the time" twice in a row. But I didn't mean to. Ehem. No really I didn't omg stop looking at me like that. Like I'm hahaha lying or something hahaha. No way in hell I'm correcting that. No-correction-Rainy is in full force. But I'm not hahaha lying. What. Oh god.)

The thing was, I didn't use the set correctly. Well, you could argue that it was my first time lololol. And that I wasn't reading labels. I used them without water. Like poster or acrylic paint lmfao. Really! It wasn't that hard, the Pentel colors were so pigmented and we didn't notice. I can't also remember why the group members used them the same way I did.

Anyway, after realizing my awesome mistake. Call it a mistake if you will, we did a pretty awesome job anyway. Anyway anyway anyway, I panicked after the awesome mistake. Because it was awesome. No, really. Hehehe. I knew what watercolors are for. It's just that I didn't know how to use use them. We used them as a kid. And I had long ago given up on it because it didn't make sense to me. I always muddied my palette and paper. So I stuck with crayons. Anyway, I contacted my go-to person at the time and he became my sensei. Shawn isn't really good with colors imo HAHAHA but he's a skilled line artist. His sketches are awesome. Didn't my constant "anyway" annoy you, by the way?

I've been listening to Ariana Grande's "The Way" so there's no way I'll stop saying "way" in this post. I just don't stop torturing my readers eh don't I?


That was pretty much my background in wet media. My sensei was a very informative dork, though. And I remembered everything I was taught. Down to the recommended brands! Around November last year, the inspiration to actually create watercolor pieces came back when my sister asked about materials. My former officemate Ellia was doing the same thing at the same time. I may not be a traditional artist but I had always loved digital art. Collages, photoblending, digital artsy stuff have been pretty much my life as a teenager. So I am artsy. I'm just terrible at drawing with my actual hands. See I'm wordy today. I dunno why I'm sorry but I'm wordy today. Today.

I first bought a cheap Lil Hands pan set. The small one with square cakes and did the above artwork. I used to put white texts on it and distributed it online as a wallpaper. It looked pretty nice. The brand has a chalky finish, as expected with student cakes but it is quite vibrant for the price it's offered. I also used Afterlight to edit these images because I used to run a tumblr blog with these works. And I'm just realizing how badly edited they are but oh well. No-correction-Rainy still full-on.


Jellehfesh!! Second painting! The stuff here are arranged chronologically, starting from November 2014 until January 2015.


Attempting to do some hand lettering and failed. I gave this to my boyfriend anyway because he loves me hahaha no matter what hahahaha.

I then decided that the pan set I had wasn't enough, that my interest was growing and growing and growing. I then purchased the same Pentel set I used years prior. The tubes have changed, though.


Ellia and I had our first watercolor crafternoon at her house. I painted the one on the left on a Berkley watercolor sketchpad. I'm pretty sure it's the paper itself, because everything I painted ended up a little chalky, despite the paint brand. Ellia did the one on the right. I meant to paint a Pocky stick but the first stick was too fat. And it looked as if it just peed lololol. Peeing chocolate-dipped bread stick lolol.


Then I had this discontinued painting project I called "coffeeneko". I stopped because ... I'll tell you about it later.


Cookieth!! I think the color I used the most at the time was yellow ocher.


This was a MAD Fest tribute. My boyfriend loves Kimbra and we saw her live! Yay! I got myself a Prang set that day, too. Yay!


My friend emailed me a how-to-draw-a-cat eBook and I got motivated... well, until I messed up one of the forelegs. Hahaha. And the hind leg right there. There were many other drawings in this notebook but that was about the time when I grew depressed and decided I wasn't any good, that I had no talent and chance in this thing. I stopped practicing for several days. Well, I'm not naturally good at drawing. I wasn't born that way. Until now, I still consider myself bad at it. But it's different if it's something you love. I love watercolors, I used to stare at the few pieces I could find inside the mall. I used to look for watercolor-themed PNG set on deviantart, etc.


Then, then Niko bought me a Moleskine watercolor notebook. It was the last one we could find. I've been trying to find one ever since but I never saw any. I doubt the bookstores are even restocking their Moleskine racks. Well, the stores I visited, at least.


Trying to get a feel.


First ever piece painted on my Moleskine. This was based on something I saw on Pinterest. Or maybe WeHeartIt. Can't remember.


More tiny drawings. That's my nephew's belly right there. He was the one flipping the sketchbook. See? Tiny hand. Heh.


I tried coloring in the sketch Bella did. We were supposed to work on a piece for our team but it never happened. And it's too late for that.


That's me and Niko. He's the one wearing the dress lololol.


A cuppy cake!!


This was my dirty paper. I used this to test how much paint I got on my brush before I let it touch the piece I worked on. Party paper.


That's Bunbun and I think she hates you.


Upgraded Bunbun. See, I cut her hands off because I'm so fucking I'm afraid of drawing hands. I still don't trust myself when it comes to drawing. I have zero self-confidence lolol despite the way I write. Well, you know Rainy lives with sarcasm. Anyway.


Hahahaha I remember this! I sketched her. Well duh obviously. I mean I based her on Kaoru Hasegawa's artwork. I drew her in the middle of the night and I remembered feeling triumphant... until I started coloring her in.


I'm not just bad with drawing hands, I'm also terrible at drawings eyes. See, I'm a very spontaneous person. So every stroke, every line I draw is spontaneous, and there's no way I can replicate what I just did. I dunno it's just how I work. That's why I always have a hard time working on eyes. I always give up in the end and look for excuses to cover them up. Hehe.


I sketched this under the guidance of a designer friend. Gelo used to be an officemate too but he resigned and went back to designing dresses. Oh just look at her eyes! Hahaha.


I got my first tube of Cotman in Rose Madder Hue and a no 6 Daler Rowney Graduate brush during my outing with Gelo.


Me trying to be all dreamy and shit. Hahaha. I remember stopping for about a week thinking how horrible I was, hating myself even. I so badly want to be good at this. I know I'm not naturally talented and I hate it. I should be kind to myself, I keep telling me that. It wasn't until my boyfriend pointed out that I had only been drawing and painting for roughly 3 months; I shouldn't be that frustrated with my works. Thing is, I'm already 21 and yeah I started late. This is something I should've done with I was 10 or younger. But I wasn't interested. Oh well. *cries*


Fast forward to Miss Cupcake, the only thing I'm pretty much proud of these days. Her body is based off a drawing I saw on tumblr but I didn't have the image and couldn't find it anymore so I had to do it from memory. And since I consider myself horrible at drawing faces, I painted a cupcake instead!

I stopped for roughly two weeks after painting her, and I never did anything like Miss Cupcake. Maybe I will again, one day. I just gotta work hard on forgiving and not being very hard on myself.

I'm working on a daily doodle project called "Hopefully Daily", which hasn't been a daily thing. Yet. That's why there's "hopefully" on it! Hohoho. I post my doodles on my Instagram account, and you can see most of the stuff I work on there, too. If there's any feedback you can give I'd very much appreciate it. Yeah, long post. Yeah, photospam.

No comments:

Post a Comment

- You are free to speak
- Comments will be returned
- Respect my opinions, too
- I love you ❤