Rainy Martini

January 21, 2015

MAD Fest 2014 pt. 1


Ahoy! I went to see Kimbra in the flesh last month. Niko once thought that he'd never ever see Kimbra perform live here in our country, so when the announcement was out, he jumped from his seat (or so I assume) and went crazy. I'm totally exaggerating. Or maybe he went crazy but the internally crazy sort of thing. We bought early bird tickets and tadaaaaa. The doodle tribute above was to pay homage to my second favorite Kimbra song: Cameo Lover. First is Settle Down. Hee.


I wore my usual sweat plus skirt plus sneakers ensemble on the day itself.


I'm an official cat lady. This photo turned out blurry because this was a vertical shot originally, and either my phone camera is crap or the editing app I used gives reduces image quality. Dunno. I used Afterlight in these images by the way.



That's right. Afterlight. Ang tiyaga ko ano? Haha. Photoshop isn't something I have access to right now. In other news: WAFFLE!!!!!!!


We went to a Book Sale branch to prevent myself from making unnecessary purchases like... art materials or... a ukulele bag. I brought my ukulele with me btw! Oh I don't think I have ever blogged about my uke. Hmm.


We arrived an hour before the gates opened. We found out too late that Kimbra herself went to the same entrance when she showed up. There was a huge fangirl there named Dale who saw and met her. We hung out with Dale for the rest of the night, protecting our front-row spots and everything.


Niko speaking to Radio Republic guys. We got a free lighter. Haha.


This kuya wouldn't move! Uggh.


Uhm, excuse me while I hide in embarrassment or cower in fear or whatever.


Eet wus getteeng durker!


A can of coke. I was seated on the concrete. We managed to snag awesome front row positions. This coke baby would then be my only nourishment for the next 8 hours. If I had known I would have bought water with me!


Eet wus getteeng durkererrrrrr!


And the show started! Zach Lucero, who I thought was cute, did a portion of the hosting before playing with Imago. This is Toni B.


Next up was BP Valenzuela. She's young and cute and I love her Soundcloud page, although at the time I thought she sounded either nervous or a bit hilaw for this stage. Maybe it was the former. It was a great perf nevertheless. Niko also knows some of the band members like April, because he went to Reese Lansangan's exhibit at Heima Brixton and got to see them perform! I WASN'T THERE THOUGH. Sad sad.


AND CHEATS! YAAAAYYY! I had always loved Saab Magalona because of her blog. Seeing her in the flesh was ♥♥♥


Their stage had a very awesome party vibe. I'd love to see another of their gigs one of these days.


This was Kate Torralba's last local performance, as she was headed to London. Idk if she's already there or what lol. During BP's stage, she was taking photographs of her and eventually had a selfie with me, Niko and Dale. Lol. I hope she deleted it lololol cause I looked so crappy lololol.



I'm loving her piano necklace!!


I'm pretty sure there were some other bands I didn't get to photograph because I was tired and I didn't want to give up my place in front. Several times I had to sit on the concrete and pray to the stars the crowd doesn't trample me. I was fucking tired. Fucking. Tired. My legs were mentally murdering me and I was fucking thirsty as well. Oh, this is Imago by the way. With their new vocalist Mayumi.


OPM royalty! I loooove Sandwich. I definitely sang along during their stage perf.

One guy screamed "I LOVE YOU MONG!!"
And Raimund replied with "I love you too parrre!"
He chuckled and repeated, "I love you Mong. I love you too parrre."

I thought that was hilarious. What's more hilarious was when he did a stage dive at the end of their last song. I think it was Procrastinator? Errr. Blurry mind blurry mind. He happened to land on a patch of college-freshman-looking group of girls who couldn't handle his awesomeness so he eventually fell from their arms lol. Isn't that painful?


Chocolate Grass is a band from Las PiƱas. Their vibe is very... for me it was sexy. Heehee. I love their vocalist's Boho chic getup. She had glittery gold paint on her forehead and cheek and her hat was luuurrrve. Too bad I didn't get to enjoy them much, because my legs, both left and right, stopped mentally murdering me and was just begging for me to sit down. I'd been up for more than six hours at that point.


I think Kjwan played before Urbandub but I didn't get to photography them because I was lolol seated hahahaha. I enjoyed Mark Abaya's performance though. And his water-spitting gimmick on stage. What. It was funny! Niko and I got some of his DNA on our skin lol.

This was the second time I saw Urbandub live, because I was also at the Greenlight music fest last 2013 with Ellia.


So the first half ends here, and the second half hopefully gets published in a matter of days, not weeks, not months. Like what happened last year. Lolololol. The photo above was my view when I was sitting on the concrete, saving my front-row spot and begging Kimbra to come out already.

No comments:

Post a Comment

- You are free to speak
- Comments will be returned
- Respect my opinions, too
- I love you ❤